Thursday, August 6, 2026

Immortality


 I wrote this poem 05 August 2026 - the idea formed in my head when I was thinking back on a conversation I had with an ex-GCSE student who was remarkably bright.  When I asked what he was going to do with his life, he responded that he wanted to find the secret to immortality.  Now as an English teacher - the literary alarm bells ring, of the unchecked ambition of tragic heroes like Wiktor Frankenstein and Macbeth.  My thoughts, on this however, are set out in the poem.  I feel that immortality is a reality, if only we can see the wood for the trees (so to speak).  The picture I decided to pair with my poem is by an artist named Crisco Art - called 'Red Balloon'.  I liked the passing of the balloon as symbol of immortality.

No comments:

Post a Comment